Figure Woes
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I look in the mirror
And what do I see
A strange-looking person
That surely cannot be me.
For, I am much younger
And not nearly so fat
As that strange face in the mirror
That I am looking at.
Oh, where are those mirrors
That I used to know
Like the ones which were made
Some thirty years ago.
I got a shock when I looked in the mirror ,I just couldn't recognize myself. I had become a piece of tubby lard with wisps of white in my hair.The double chin, the neck hung like a dewlap,the waist was a mass of tiers.The pince-nez on the nose gave me the old marm look. I looked short and portly. No wonder my daughter had shrieked seeing me today. She had lectured me to eat healthy and stay in shape as most of her friend's mothers looked well turned out and could be mistaken for elder sisters accompanying their daughters. They seemed to be ageless, while I looked hideous in their presence. She hated accompanying me whenever I wanted to go to the market. What had happened to me?
I had been that gawky looking schoolgirl during my school days where people would comment on my skinny figure, They felt I was ill-fed as I gained no flesh. I would be advised to eat a lot to gain some flesh.
As I entered my adoloscence phase I became conscious of my gaunt looks. I started eating to my fill. I was ravenous whole day. I would easily polish off a full loaf of bread slathered with butter and cheese, Due to which I became a little chubby a sudden transformation from the scrawny looking schoolgirl. I was happy that there was some flesh on me. But my happiness didn't last long. People commented I should watch my diet or I would become obese. Earlier It was I should eat to gain weight, then it was I should try and loose some weight.
Soon I entered college where I envied the gals with the hour glass figure. Who were always on a diet of juices and unsalted crackers. They were sought after by all the handsome hunks of the college. I yearned to be like them and suddenly I decided I would go on a crash diet. I became anorexic and looked like a stick. I came to my senses when I became anaemic and was hospitalized for a week.
The 'hour glass phase died' and I was on a balanced diet consisting of greens and fruits.It worked wonders for me. I developed a glowing skin and a good toned body. People still didn't stop they told me to remove dairy from my diet to retain my figure.
Soon I was hitched and started another figure woe journey. Some said she needs to gain more weight the saree doesn't accentuate her figure, she looks like a scarecrow. While some others were of the opinion she needs to lose a little as she looks bigger than her age in western dresses. I didn't have the perfect figure to wear Indian or western clothes. I was depressed as I stood out like a sore thumb in society.
Before I could decide the next course of action to get that perfect figure I had embraced motherhood. Again started a volley of instructions. I should eat for two otherwise baby would be underweight. Due to health issues and complications, my appetite took a downslide and I didn't put on too much weight as desired.
Post-pregnancy I had gained some weight aftermath of the drugs consumed during pregnancy. Another set of figure woes began when I was berated by friends and relatives alike for my post-partum weight which made me look ugly.
Soon my tots took over my life and I forgot about my figure issues. My life was all about nurturing them. Running after them all day helped me shed some weight. I felt my life had taken a turn for the positive.
The tot phase soon turned into the teen phase where my kiddos seemed to have become figure-conscious. They ate with caution and gave me tips to retain the perfect figure.
It was my obsessive phase. I wanted to be the Evergreen Didi instead of being addressed as aunty by unknown strangers, vendors alike. I was into yoga, Zumba and Pilates. Food was measured according to a diet chart prepared by a proper nutritionist. Everyone complimented me as it looked age hadn't caught on me.
But it is said all good things do not last forever. I was undergoing the 'Empty Nest Syndrome' which was killing me. From fit, I turned to flab. I turned into a couch potato binging on my favourite snacks while catching on my favourite Netflix shows.
This was the awakening I got when my daughter shrieked and asked me to look at myself in the mirror.
Now all things have changed
And I’m sure you’ll agree
Mirrors are not made as good
As they once used to be.
So never be concerned,
About those wrinkles and flab that your eyes see
For one thing I’ve learned
That is now very clear to me,
Should your complextion
Be less than perfection,
It is really the mirror
That surely needs the correction!
Neither the figure nor the complexion
can be up to people's perfection.
The mirror has awakened the inner ME to resolve, rework to reduce and relax. Whether I gain or reduce oodles of weight the figure woes will always be there. Kuch toh log kahenge, logon ka kaam hai kehna----
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter's My Friend Alexa
Dr Preeti Talwar
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps

I can so relate to your post. Nicely penned.
ReplyDeleteThanks Charu for liking the post
Deletebeautiful written, I have body shaming complex. Feel the same way you describe in poem fat ,dull skin,wrinkles but your poem make me realize. Its our confidence and inner soul we should be more concern about.
ReplyDeleteThanks Gurjeet for reading and building your self-confidence. Kuch toh log kahenge don't bother stay confident and happy. Feel you are the most beautiful person on this earth and you will feel the change
ReplyDeleteYou've spoken for all of us, Preeti. Changes happen to us outside and within. Accepting them is another story, one that you have explained so well.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Deliciously Alive
ReplyDeleteHey Doc, the mirror will always be there to show us what we truly are and people will always comment no matter it's good or bad! Change is what we need!
ReplyDeleteYes that is what is required and accept ourselves as we are
ReplyDeleteThat's how a woman's body keeps evolving. That's what I like to call it. I could relate to it. I also went from being skinny to wobbly to skinny to lean to flabby again. That happens with age and changing hormones but what I am proud of that in all the changes that my body has gone through one thing that has remained constant since the past 20 years, is my exercise routine. And that keeps me healthy inspite of the drop and gain in my weight.
ReplyDeleteWow that is wonderful, we need to learn this from you. Being consistent for two decades is a big thing. Hats off to you, hope I too can be consistent to maintain myself
DeleteWoman and their body woes are greatly captured in this post and liked the poetic lines. Scrolling in the small window for the blog post hinders the readability, please check that Preeti.
ReplyDeleteThanks Meenal will look into it
DeleteThanks Meenal will look into it
DeleteThanks Meenal will look into it
DeleteThis happens with all of us.Its a Challenge. Beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteThanks Amrita
Delete