FAMILY MUSIC MANIA IN THE EIGHTIES

 



Listening to music has been an integral part of my life since childhood. Music to me is like breathing, as one can't stop breathing one can't stop listening to music. Music is said to be the medicine of the mind and I come from a family of music maniacs. Each of us has our own taste which has created conflicts in the house, It started with Guglielmo Marconi's radio invention,  My father's the vintage possession the Murphy Radio adorned our living room. It looked regal placed in its wooden radio box. Most middle-class people possessed it and enjoyed listening to their favourite programs on the radio. I was in middle school when I developed a craze for English music and tried to do my school work listening to the radio, while I wanted to listen to the latest English hits my father wanted to listen to the news and mom wanted to listen to the Hindi Bollywood numbers while doing her household chores. It was a competition of changing different stations as each person wanted to monopolize the radio.

Soon the radio gave way to J.L Baird's invention the Television Which was black and white in colour and not too many programmes were aired on it. I still preferred listening to the radio. With the television making an entry into our house I got some solace as dad watched the news on the television and mom saw her favourite Bollywood hit numbers being televised on certain days of the week.
It was during the eighties when the black &white television was replaced by the coloured T.V. I was thrilled when one fine day this coloured television made its way to our home. The coloured television found a prominent place in our living room while the vintage Murphy Radio set was sidelined and kept in the bedroom.
Watching our favourite programmes in colour gave us a new kind of thrill. But the coloured T.V brought with it more woes. Watching our favourite television shows was no cakewalk, there was always a tug-of-war for the T.V. remote. Watching musical programmes became a bone of contention among the family members. The shows were limited and not like the present day where you get to listen to a wide variety of musical programmes being aired 24*7. These musical programmes were aired twice a week.

We were sick and tired of watching Hindi flicks, songs, sports in black and white. But with the advent of technology, we could watch our favourite shows in colour. But watching the T.V shows was no cakewalk in our house as there was a tug-of-war for the T.V. remote. Each person wanted to watch his or her favourite channel. The shows were limited, so whether big or small all of us bickered for the possession of the T.V remote.

8 p.m was a prime time when all of us wanted to view the t.v. programmes, dad wanted to watch the news, me a serial and little bro an action movie. Mom wouldn't be a part of the feud as she would be cooking dinner. But Wednesdays and Fridays were different as Hindi movie songs were aired from 8-8.30 p.m. Our music-obsessed family would stop the remote fight and watch the CHITRAHAAR as it was called. But to top it all I was too obsessed with music not only Hindi but English music drove me crazy. Daily the A.I.R or the All India Radio aired retro English hits. The prime time being 8p.m.I generally solved my maths sums or made biology diagrams listening to music. I wanted to enjoy both the worlds i.e English and Hindi. So while the family watched Chitrahaar intently my country hits would blare and there would be cacophony which irritated the others. One minute I would be lost in the romantic Jim Reeves numbers, suddenly my reverie would be broken with the nasal twang of yesteryear Indian singer K.L.Sehgal.My father being an ardent fan of K.L.Sehgal hated any kind of disturbance while listening to his favourite singer. He glared at me to close the radio. I muted the sound but my ears would be glued to the radio and eyes to the T.V.And soon I would hear the notes of my favourite song 'Congratulations' by Cliff

 

Richards and I would increase my radio sound. I would start humming and tapping my feet and lo behold Lata Mangeshkar's dulcet voice  would be heard on T.V.Now my mom is a fan of Lata


 wanted to hear her song and got enraged when I enhanced the radio volume. Meekly again I subdued the sound. I scowled but no one paid heed. Soon I forgot the promise to subdue the sound and Pat Boon's 'Love Letters In The Sand'  mesmerized me and with my eyes closed, I would be singing along.

 But again I was jolted out from the past to the present when little bro saw Amitabh Bachchan dancing and being a fan tried to copy his moves. While copying his moves he did a taekwondo flip with his legs which caught me on my nose and I got bruised. I got bugged and tried to snatch the remote from him but he was too smart and rushed out of the room. I felt he was a pest trying to spoil my music. I just wanted to swat him like a fly. But being the pampered brat he always got away while I sulked.


I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter's My Friend Alexa

Dr Preeti Talwar



Comments

  1. Through the years music has been changing with the new generations and new experimentations.. Interesting article...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I can imagine the scene! Why is it that your story sounds familiar? 😆😆
    I grew up listening to the English music of the 80s too. Mmm.... lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Radhiks that was the scene in the eighties😁

      Delete
  3. Over the years music and television has changed a lot. As my parents say now a days the music is not as good as the oldies and they often recollect their television watching and music days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Shail Thosani, as my comment is going under unknown.
      #Myfriendalexa

      Delete
    2. No issues Shail, yes I too belong to the old school. Today 's music is more like cacophony

      Delete
  4. Sounds familiar. I think the music in each decade has its own beauty. But yea, the 80s were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Lavanya, music is medicine for the soul

      Delete
  5. You just sent me the memory lane. Radio and music are my whole childhood and teen years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We oldies just loose ourselves in those times. The new generation finds all this music outdated. Rock and pop rule today

      Delete
  6. Radio, Chitrahaar-you took us back in time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, one wants to relive those memories😊

      Delete
  7. I remember watching chitrahaar on Wednesdays even now. I was introduced to English music only in college when we had a number of bands in IIT where I studied. I really became a fan of so many wester music groups. I love dancing to Queen's melodious numbers. But my favorite song was Hotel California by Eagles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you too seem to be a fan of the Oldie Goldie groups. Yes Queen's numbers were lovely, Bruce Springsteen Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder were my favourites

      Delete
  8. Sounds extremely familiar... Just, in my case the timeline would be the 1990s 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each generation has his or her own favourites😊

      Delete
  9. I too am a music lover and could relate each and every point. Nostalgia hit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great feeling that my post made you feel nostalgic

      Delete
  10. This sounds similar to what my mother would tell us. As for me, I was born in an era where TV and radio were commonplace. Internet took a little while to get properly established. And in the dial-up era, we were always fighting over whether to hang up the phone call or allow the internet to be disrupted. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post. Much like I have seen those days of radio, then smalk oscar TV and finally onida color tv. Howbeit, radio is still my favorite. I like the way random songs come. I admire how one has to feel the radio shows rather than giving pains to the eyes. Radio can travel with you with just one purpose. It may not be smart much but it has a soul to keep one happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Shipra, radio will never go out. It is the best companion one can have

      Delete
  12. We listened to a lot of "cassettes" which this generation doesn't even know about!!! This is so relatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tina and enjoyed that more than listening to the songs on mobile😊

      Delete
  13. This took me down the memory lane. I can totally resonate with your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. With times, things too change a lot and when it comes to music, it surely has a new definition now. Some of it I adore and a few are no less than noise to me. Having said that, I still feel that every music piece is created with a lot of hard work and should be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true Parul, music needs to be appreciated

      Delete
  15. Hi Preeti! What a delightful, nostalgic blog. It made smile wide till the end. #MyFriendAlexa #TinaReads

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Tina that my blog could bring a smile, feel elated that you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  17. True that music and television has changed a lot over time but I am still a fan of 60s n 70s music. Somehow the music n lyrics had so much depth and meaning. Nice nostalgic post. Keep bringing back such beautiful memories.

    #MyFriendAlexa #ContemplationOfaJoker #Jokerophilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manas for liking my post, sure will try to dig out memories

      Delete
  18. Right from the Doordarshan tune or Ameen Sayani's voice on the radio, music has been a part of our life and changed a lot over time. I'm still a fan of 70s music though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes who can forget Ameen Sayani's voice, the Binaca Geetmala

      Delete
  19. I haven't heard english music of 80s. Even today there are hardly five english songs in my playlist. I am very desi as far as taste of music is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an epic story this is. The music mania of the eighties, the color-tv scenario and the never ending fights will end when the family sits together to enjoy music.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#The Woman That I Am- An Ode To My Soulmate

CAN OLIVE OIL BE USED FOR A GLOWING SKIN

THE MAGIC CREATED BY THE DELHI DOORDARSHAN NEWSCASTERS